Keeping your hearing aids in tip-top shape is vital to getting the most out of your devices, extending their lifespan and hearing your best.
Plenty of hearing aid maintenance and repair can be performed at home. In some cases, however, you’ll need to visit us for professional upkeep and services.
Regular Servicing for Long-Lasting Use
While it’s vital that you keep up with hearing aid maintenance at home, you should also visit our office every few months for professional servicing. During these quick and simple appointments, we’ll check your devices carefully, make any adjustments necessary and clean your hearing aids using professional, in-office equipment.
At-Home Troubleshooting for Basic Problems
Many basic hearing aid problems can be quickly solved at home by replacing parts, changing out batteries or cleaning sections of the device. Here are some commonly encountered problems and their solutions:
- Hearing aids aren’t producing any sound
- Check that it’s on and set to “microphone”
- Ensure battery is inserted properly and compartment is closed
- Use a tool to clean the microphone, tubing, sound outlet, wax filter and earmold
- Replace wax filter and battery
- You hear feedback or whistling
- Take out and reinsert your hearing aid
- Clean the ports with a wax pick or multi-tool
- Replace the battery
- Hearing aids are too quiet
- Clean the battery contacts, exterior and tubing with a cloth then a wax pick or multi-tool
- Check tubing for damage, moisture or a buildup and replace if necessary
- Adjust your hearing aids’ settings
- Sound is weak or distorted
- Try turning down the volume
- Ensure device is set on “microphone”
- Clean batteries and battery contacts
- Replace batteries
Visiting an Audiologist for Hearing Aid Repairs
If you’re facing a problem not listed above or the troubleshooting tips don’t resolve your concerns, it’s important to visit us right away. Trying to fix other hearing aid problems at home can result in irreversible damage to the device. Using one hearing aid or avoiding the use of your devices due to a problem can actually worsen your hearing and impact your life and relationships. Always remember that our staff has the knowledge and expertise to identify problems and offer top-notch guidance and solutions.